June 12, 2009

Thank you for calling!

I have a celebration coming up. It will soon be twenty years since my best friend and I met during our freshman year in college. Some, but not I, would refer to her as my BFF. I shan't do that because I refuse to say/do/wear/etc. anything that reminds me of that useless twithead of a talentless, teeny rat-dog carrying drain on humanity, Paris Hilton. But I digress.............for you math whizzes out there, yes, that also means that this is the time (June 14 to be exact) to commemorate my high school graduation. For those of you wishing to send a gift, China is the traditional offering for a 20th anniversary. I prefer Wedgewood.

Tallulah is the name of the woman with whom I will observe this auspicious milestone. Ok, not really. I mean, she's the best friend to whom I refer, but her name is not really Tallulah. If it were, let's face it, I would have forced her to change it immediately upon being introduced to her in the hallway of the all-girl dorm (affectionately referred to as the Virgin Vault) to which we were sentenced way back in 1999.

As I pointed out in my very first post, I don't need to know you if you're not at least a bit kooky and/or insane. Lucky for me, Tallulah easily fell into the Kooky category (she's the biggest fan ever of - get this - the Monkees!). And after 20 years, there have surely been some insane moments for us both. Most such instances were times when we were just down right goofy and giggly; only a few were during the moments when we had bats in our respective belfries.

The most recent bout of giggly was over Tallulah's retort to a political survey taker who oh-so-inconveniently gave her a call during dinner time. We've all been there. We ignore the inner voice that tells us to ignore the ring when the Caller ID warns us that the incoming in an Unknown Caller. However, there are times when the mental flicker of a possibility that it really could be somebody we'd like to speak with at the other end of the line overrides the part of our mind that KNOWS it is a mistake to answer the phone. We pick up the receiver, only to be immediately accosted with unwanted offers of aluminum siding for our homes and warnings that our car warranties are about to expire!

What began as Tallulah's blooper of answering the call soon became a moment for her to shine! Her quick wit and sarcasm stopped the political opinion gatherer in his tracks.

ANNOYING QUESTION: What do you think is the biggest threat to America posed by the Obama administration?
GLORIOUS ANSWER: Pollsters!!

End of survey. Evidently, there was no direction in his script to cover this answer. Dinner-Interrupto-Man hung up and Tallulah called me immediately (I happily answered when my Caller ID announced it was her) to regale me with the tale of her brilliant comeback! Insert Uproarious Laughter here.......

I wonder who the stumped and stunned guy called after that! Maybe his BFF??

No comments:

Post a Comment