June 22, 2009

Reality bites

John and Kate Gosselin have separated. If you do not know of whom I write, you either live under a rock, or are one of those freaks who suspiciously claim to have never watched even one episode of reality tv. Oh, come on. There are now approximately 538,429 reality tv shows to be found (and joked about) on network and cable television. My favorite show title (and I swear I've never watched this one) is The Exterminator. eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww The show I'm most ashamed to admit I've seen more than once is Scott Baio is 45 and Single. It was, and really only could have been, a train wreck.

A train wreck is now what many will call the beloved adults of Jon & Kate Plus Eight. Parents to eight kids, and married ten years, the couple have decided to separate. Conjecture abounds, most assuming that the shear spectacle that became their lives once the reality show about their family gained popularity is the sole cause of the split. This is likely at least partially true, but for purposes of this think piece, I choose to operate under the notion that this is not unlike many other 'regular' divorces.

I cried when Jon and Kate officially announced what most everyone had deduced, that they plan to go their separate ways. All televised evidence to the contrary, I kept my fingers crossed that they could work out their differences.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have never been married. Therefore, many of you will likely decide to tell me where to stick it after I make my comments on the subject.

I have friends and family members who have: divorced with kids; divorced without kids; divorced more than once; or wished they were divorced, but didn't pursue it because of the kids. Most sorrowful of all, I know couples who, in my unsought opinion, should never have been married in the first place. These duos are the most tragic to me. There are probably more reasons to NOT get married than there are TO get married. Too many couples have managed to either convince themselves that something is right when it is not, or have fallen into a situation they can't see their way out of. Do not castigate me for this assessment, for the same is true of all relationships, not just marriage.

Any divorce is markedly upsetting to me. In some kind of twisted paradox, perhaps this is because I never have been married. Somehow, whenever a couple I know personally, or just know of, decides to end what was assumed at the beginning to be a permanent relationship, it takes away another piece of my hope that love will win out - for better or for worse.........until death do they part.

My parents have been married for 38 years. My mother's parents were married 54 years before my grandmother died. No doubt they would have been married for 54 more had God allowed for an unlimited life span. These facts are glorious and keep me from becoming irrevocably cynical about the existence of everlasting love.

However, I notice far too many having to find their inner peace and sanity by disuniting from their partner, rather than clinging to them.

I really do not know what my point is here. What I do know is that I am disheartened by the fact that nobody has bothered to marry me, but am relieved that nobody has ever come to the conclusion that they don't want to be married to me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment