June 2, 2009

Name That Tune

My son performed tonight in the school's last Band Concert of the year. Thank goodness - not that he and his trusty oboe performed flawlessly, but that it is the last jam session for the year. As middle school bands go (and I've now been subjected to many more of them that I ever nightmared possible), they are very good - even taking 1st place in a recent competition. So, it is not the fault of the troupe itself that I do not particularly enjoy attending such events, it's just that I like words to my music. Instrumental arias just do not do it for me.

A friend suggested that I attempt to match the words in my own head to the music being propelled toward my cochlea. Since that wasn't even close to any of the worst ideas I've ever heard (one of which involved a hot guy at a party and shotgunning my first beer), I chose to give it a go. Too bad, then, that there was no way on God's green earth that the band's tempo could match the velocity with which words and thoughts pulse through my little brain. Eh, it was worth a try.

Since it is not possible for me to make verbal sense out of the sounds emanating from the stage, Band Concerts only grab my attention when one of two things happens. Most often, given that much of the music played leans toward the classical variety, any jingle I do recognize is something I once heard on a cartoon. More often than not, that cartoon is Tom & Jerry. When that fond childhood memory presents itself to me in the darkened auditorium, I have no trouble visualizing that pesky mouse tormenting that silly, gray cat.

The second type of tune that sparks recognition and interest for me is one which contains even just a few notes that are those of a religious hymn. Tonight, sounds from How Great Thou Art appeared in some piece the band was performing. I have no idea what that piece was called, but I do know How Great Thou Art when I hear it. There are two renditions of this beautiful song that stick in my head. The first is as sung by Julia Sugarbaker (Dixie Carter) on Designing Women. If you do not recall the episode in which this appeared - check it out - it was a good one!

The other arrangement of this hymn that I adore is that performed by Elvis Presley. I was practically raised on Elvis, as my parents were/are big fans. I can still remember all of my Dad's Elvis 8-track tapes. (Yes, I'd enough to vividly remember the 8-track.) My parents' song is one of Elvis'; he died on my father's birthday and there is an Elvis trilogy that my father wants played at his own funeral. God willing, that will be many, many years from now. So many years, in fact, that perhaps the 8-track will have come back around. The classics do have a way of coming back into style, you know!

Another factoid that I'm happy to report that Sirius/XM has a channel devoted solely to the music of Elvis (#018 on your formerly-just-XM dial). It broadcasts from Graceland, I swear!

I am going to suggest that next year, the middle school band schedules a field trip to Memphis! I'll be a fantastic chaperone! Do you think we'll get to see the jungle room?

No comments:

Post a Comment