May 29, 2009

Who's Next?

It seems that the young man at the orthodontist office does not know the woman I just ran into at the drug store. Had they been acquainted, he surely would have warned her about me. Unfortunately for her, she did not know with whom she was messing - she did not get the Don't Tick Off Sandy memo. Ok, there really was no messing, no tussling, no true let's-get-ready-to-rumble moment. What there was, though, was another opportunity for me to not be a doormat.

The trip to CVS this evening was essential so that I could refill my prescriptions before June 1, when co-pays and prescription costs go up. Again. Tangent...............Somebody get Barack on the line. I shan't complain too loudly as I am blessed with an employer who pays 100% of my health insurance premium! For this I am truly thankful, especially when it is evidenced daily that the price of nothing goes down. Up, up and away............

The check-out line there was marked by those cattle-herding rope lines, just like what you'd find at an amusement park. Oddly, these corrals did not have end pieces which would direct you as to which way you must turn to hold your place in the queue. The brain trust at CVS counts on the general public, many of whom are colossally stupid and/or rude, to properly and respectfully navigate themselves to the register.

I got lucky, or so I thought. When I arrived at the non-instructional rope line, there were no other customers in the vicinity. I made the executive decision to stand at the right end of the "line". Both ends were equidistant from the register, so I felt safe in my decision to begin a line, should other drug-seekers approach. Aha - here came one - the woman who doesn't know cell phone boy from the other day. This bleached blonde twit immediately positioned herself clear at the other end of the rope line. Politely and with an attempt at countrified cuteness I pointed at the dismembered check-out border and said "I'm not sure which end is the front". To this she replied "Well, I was here, but realized I forgot something." My initial, though not vocalized thought, was "AND????" Second thought: "I hope what you forgot was Ex-Lax to help get that stick out of your ---!" I said nothing - just stood there stewing in my juices. What nerve!

Then the answer came to me like Archangel Gabriel, but with much less religious significance. I WILL NOT let this obnoxious, brain-addled witch-face get to the register before I do!! NOT NOT NOT!!! So, when the clerk offered to help the "next person" in line, I darted right up to him! From the corner of my eye, I saw Ms. I-Was-Here-First attempt to make her move to scurry in front of me. I prevailed and could feel her eyes boring holes in the back of my head. It would have been satisfyingly awesome if I had the ability to stick out my tongue at her from the back of my head!! The icing on my Petty Cake was that the clerk could only find one of the three prescriptions I was there to collect. Ah, so sad that woman had to wait even longer. Mwuhahaha.

Mind you, I am not an evil person. However, I have spent way, way, way too much of life trying to be nice, accommodating others at all times, and just generally being a doormat. I think it's high time I stand up for myself, my desires and the things to which I am genuinely entitled. As long as I do not physically or emotionally scar anyone, or land myself in jail - where's the damage? Of course, it's small potatoes to tell a teenager to pipe down or to rightfully take my place in a drug store line, but I have to start somewhere, right?

Some may speculate that I have latent anger issues. To them I say - leave me alone, I have to go downstairs and do some Wii Boxing!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! At this age in life I am tired of being a door mat too! People don't like hearing from me.

    ReplyDelete