May 27, 2009

Take THAT!

My kid had a check-up yesterday with the orthodontist, also known as The Place That Has My Six Thousand Dollars. I must admit that the office has a very nice waiting room for parents, complete with tons of magazines from which to choose, lovely pictures covering every wall, and a juke box in the corner. So, I sat quietly in the waiting room while TER was selecting yet another odd color band with which to string up his braces. This time, it was alternating blue and red - in honor of his baseball team.

In walks what I thought was another dad with his prepubescent daughter. The girl went back to the actual dental office which is stocked with a tv, games and even an Xbox for the kids to use while waiting their turn in the chair. Cool, huh? Now I know what became of some of my $6,000.

Shortly after he sat down, this 'dad' got a call on his cell phone and it quickly became apparent that he was actually a high school kid who had carted his sister to her appointment. (I would have bet money that this guy was in his forties! It's not often you see an Asian guy who looks much older than he is. Perhaps he is being punished by God.) I know he was a high school kid because he proceeded to have a semi-loud discussion about some chick who had broken up with him, but now wanted to get back together; and how she kept wanting to sit with him at lunch. He was "pissed" that she told him to "f-off", and he's glad it's over. Blah Blah Blah..........

It was annoying enough that this twerp continued this conversation in the presence of the rest of us, but when it became more graphic - she had called him a "dick" and an "asshole" (I think she's right on this point), I had enough. I was done. I often claim to be DONE, but this bonehead pushed me even closer to the cliff by which I spend most of my time anyway.

Of course, I would have preferred to beat him about the head and face with the nearest copy of Good Housekeeping, but instead I got up, walked over to him, pointed my finger in his face and said "go take that outside, there are kids in here!" He gave me the beginning of a nasty look, but proceeded to exit the front door. As he left, I heard him tell his likely-equally-idiotic buddy that "some woman just told me to go outside."

Aha! That's right, buddy, GTFO!!! Oh, that made me feel so good, especially when the other adults in the room practically gave me a standing-o! One man smiled at me, one woman winked in solidarity, and another Mom exclaimed that "these kids think they are so entitled!" She's right - many kids these days think they are entitled and can play by their own rules. WRONG! Time to smack some of these nitwits down a peg or seven.

Since I don't often stand up for myself - although I'm getting better at it with age - telling that kid to leave was so empowering! Perhaps handing over $6,000 gives me authority to tell people where to stick it when I'm in that building. I'll accept that as truth, and try to pretend that I'm always in that building, so I can tell all deserving jerks, creeps and sphincters to f-off, no matter where I might find them!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! It's about time someone stepped up to those bone heads. Though I would have rather read that he ran out of that office crying as you shoved the phone up his you know what. But this is a good alternative. :)

    ReplyDelete